Acute treatment is provided when it is:
• The first visit to an appropriate treatment provider (including emergency attendance at a DHB) for treatment for an injury eligible for cover;
• Subsequent treatments by that treatment provider for that injury, if the need is considered clinically urgent;
• Referral by the first treatment provider to another appropriate provider if the referred treatment is considered clinically urgent;
• In-hospital treatment given by a DHB for that injury, between acute admission and discharge to home or a non-acute service.
• Some outpatient services for that injury, within 6 weeks of initial presentation.
Last updated: 29 July 2014
Last reviewed: 15 July 2014