Current year’s levy rates

Levies are reviewed and set each year. These are the 2017/18 levies to be paid by businesses, motor vehicle owners and employees for injury cover that is funded by the ACC Scheme.

The table below sets out the rate for the 2017/18 levy year.

The 2017/18 levy rates

The Account and who funds it

What’s covered

Levy rates

In effect

Work Account:

Employers: based on wages paid to staff

Self-employed: based on income earned

Work-related injuries

(combined average levy rate per $100 liable earnings)

1 April 2017

Earners’ Account:

Employees: based on income earned

Self-employed: based on income earned

Non-work injuries


1 April 2017

Motor Vehicle Account:

Vehicle owners: funded through petrol use and car registrations

Injuries caused by moving motor vehicles on public roads

(combined average levy rate per vehicle)

1 July 2017

Notes about the 2017/18 levy rates table

  • The 2017/18 Motor Vehicle Account levy rates come into effect on 1 July 2017.
  • The levy rates are all GST exclusive and the individual rates for industry groups, motor vehicle classes and petrol usage may vary.
  • The petrol levy is based on annual petrol consumption of 1,200 litres per car.
  • When we use the term ‘car registration’ we are referring to the ACC levy portion of the annual licence fee.

Find your motor vehicle levy rate

The 2017/18 Motor Vehicle Account levy rates come into effect 1 July 2017. Go to motor vehicles and levies to find out more.

Motorcycle levies

If you ride a motorcycle, scooter or moped, you can find more information on your levies and why there is no change to the motorcycle registration levies on the motorcycles and levies page.

Find your work levy rate

As different industries have different levels of risk for work-related injury, it’s important their levy rates accurately reflect this. Employers and self-employed people are allocated to classification units that most accurately describe their activities. Each of these classifications units has their own levy rate.

You can find your individual classification unit and levy in the 2017/18 levy guidebook:

ACC7686 ACC levy guidebook 2017/2018 (PDF 1.2MB).

We use a Business Industry Classification (BIC) code (which you provide to Inland Revenue on your tax returns) to determine your classification unit. To find your BIC code, go to the Business Industry Classification (BIC) code website (external link).

Levy risk groups

Classification units are combined into larger levy risk groups to accurately estimate the cost and frequency of future injury claims. All of the classification units in a risk group are involved in similar industrial activities and have similar claim histories.

To find yours, go to the Levy risk groups page on the Shape your ACC website.

Have your say on what you pay

Before the levies are set each year, we give businesses, communities and individuals throughout New Zealand a chance to say what they think about what we want to do in the next levy year – it’s a chance to make your voices heard.

What you think is important to us – let us know which of our proposals you support – and tell us about the ones you don’t. Find out how you can get involved, go to have your say on what you pay.

Reviewed: 20 March 2017