Introduction to ACC

We provide comprehensive, no-fault personal injury cover for all New Zealand residents and visitors to New Zealand. This means you can apply for our help, no matter how you got injured, or whose fault it was. Our help can include a wide range of services – from payment towards treatment, to help around the home while you get better, and assistance with your income if you can’t work because of your injury.

Our role and what it involves

As a Crown organisation, our role is set out by the Government. We’re here to:

  • prevent injury
  • make sure people can get treatment for injury, if it happens
  • help people get back to everyday life as soon as possible.

Here are some of the things we do to carry out our role:

  • receive our clients’ injury claims, and tell them if we can help
  • oversee and coordinate the help clients get, to make sure they get the help they need
  • pay weekly compensation (a regular form of income, calculated at a percentage of the client’s usual earnings)
  • help pay for a wide range of treatment and medical costs, from GP visits and specialist fees, to x-rays, prescription costs and hospital emergency services
  • collect levies to help pay for the services we provide
  • work with businesses and in the community, to help them become safer, injury-free places

Our Code of Conduct

Our employees and contractors are expected to maintain the highest standards of integrity, discretion and ethical conduct, based on the standards that apply to all State Servants. To find out more about our standards see the ACC Code of Conduct.

Injury cover for all New Zealanders and visitors

All New Zealanders and visitors to New Zealand who get injured can apply for help from us, whether or not:

  • you’re working, retired, a child, a student or on a benefit
  • you or someone else caused the accident that led to your injury
  • the injury happened at work, during sport or recreation, at home or on the road.

We can also help you if you’re a New Zealander returning from overseas with an injury, as long as you’re a permanent resident, and you haven’t been away for more than six months.

Because of the wide range of help available from ACC after an injury, you can’t sue for personal injury in New Zealand, except for exemplary damages. This applies to overseas tourists too.

For more information about who and what is covered, see Am I covered?

Details of injuries and conditions that we cover are set out in ACC’s governing legislation, the Accident Compensation (AC) Act 2001 (external link).

Reviewed: 11 December 2015