CoverPlus invoice guide for self-employed

This page tells you about what’s in your CoverPlus invoice. If you’re self-employed and on CoverPlus you’ll get your invoice from August, soon after you file your tax return with Inland Revenue.

If you’re new to self-employment, we don’t invoice you until your second year of self-employment.

Changes to your invoice

As part of our recent invoice redesign, we’ve made minor changes to levy invoice content and layout, based on feedback you’ve provided. These include:

  • Any outstanding balances from previous unpaid invoices aren’t shown on the invoice. Instead you’ll receive a letter showing any outstanding payments.
  • The front of the invoice now shows:
  • the invoice amount and the amount of GST you’re able to claim
  • key information. This is information that we receive from Inland Revenue and we recommend you check it for accuracy.
  • The back of the invoice details how your levies are calculated.

On 1 April 2016, the residual portion was removed from the levies you pay. You can get more information on:
the residual portion of your levy will be removed (external link)

What your invoice looks like

This is an exact copy of the updated ACC WorkPlace Cover invoice for employers. The difference is this has numbered sections with a side panel listing what information you'd find in each of those sections.You can read a text version of this image by clicking on the text description link below.

Text description for the CoverPlus invoice image

If you can’t see the CoverPlus invoice image or find it hard to see, you can read the web page long description:
Text description for the CoverPlus invoice image

Tell us what you think about your redesigned invoice

Whether you’re a new or current customer, we’re keen to know what you think about our redesigned invoices. Email what you think to:

How your CoverPlus levy invoice is made up

Your CoverPlus levy is for the current year and is made up of:

  • Work Account levy – this is a levy for personal injury cover. It covers you should you be injured while at work. This levy may include any discounts or loadings that you get through the Experience Rating programme
  • Earners’ Levy – this covers you for injuries outside of work (except motor vehicle injuries)
  • Discounts – ACC Workplace Safety Discount or AC Workplace Safety Management Practices discount (if applicable)
  • Working Safer levy – (previously Health and Safety in Employment levy) this levy is collected on behalf of WorkSafe New Zealand, to cover their costs of administering health and safety at work in New Zealand.

The CoverPlus levy uses your actual self-employed liable earnings that you filed with Inland Revenue for the previous financial year.

How to get help with an invoice

If you’ve any questions about your invoice, phone the ACC Business Service Centre:
Contact us by phone

Reviewed: 15 June 2016
Updated: 1 July 2016