Workplace Safety Management Practices recognises medium to large businesses (more than 10 employees) that have implemented effective health and safety systems and practices in their workplaces. If you qualify, it adds to the many business benefits of keeping your staff safe and rewards you by reducing your ACC work cover levies (this does not apply to residual levies). It is also a great way to position your business as an example of good practice in your market.
WSMP is aimed at those businesses with 10 employees or more. The three-step entry process starts with a self-assessment, then an application, followed by an on-site audit of your workplace(s) by an auditor from the ACC-approved auditor list – either appointed and funded by us or chosen by you at your own cost.
If the auditor finds that your health and safety practices meet the Workplace Safety Management Practices audit standards, your business will receive a work cover levy reduction. This will apply for 24 months from the first of the month following the audit completion date. Outlined below are the reduction details based on the three performance levels:
If the level you achieved is…
then your business demonstrates…
and your levy reduction is…
a minimum standard of workplace health and safety performance standards
a good standard of workplace health and safety practice
best practice and a commitment to continuous improvement in workplace health and safety
As well as offering you all the financial benefits of a levy reduction, Workplace Safety Management Practices (WSMP) is a great tool for developing and/or strengthening your health and safety systems. WSMP:
- provides you with a framework for building successful and sustainable health and safety practices in your workplace
- helps you to reduce the number of accidents and injuries – which is likely to mean more motivated and productive employees, lower absenteeism, fewer business disruptions, and reductions in the costs of sick pay and hiring temporary replacement staff
- demonstrates your commitment to the wellbeing of your staff, customers, suppliers and visitors
- provides official recognition of your health and safety practices
- boosts your reputation both in the business world and as an employer of choice.
Applying for the Workplace Safety Management Practices takes three steps, for more information see apply for Workplace Safety Management Practices.
- To continue in WSMP after 24 months you will have to re-apply, following the three-step application process.
- You have another audit that should show you have maintained (or improved) your health and safety standards.
- You will also need to have all the relevant documentation since your last audit.
- If your business met either the ‘primary’ or ‘secondary’ level requirements previously, you could aim for the next step up the ladder and reduce your levies further.
Reviewed: 30 September 2015
Updated: 8 October 2015