Lodging a claim is the process of enabling a client to apply to ACC for cover for their personal injury. Treatment providers can give initial treatment for a personal injury, and in some cases lodge a claim with ACC on behalf of a client.
General information about lodging a claim with ACC.
Lodge claims online
You can lodge claims online by using a compatible Practice Management System (PMS) or our eLodgement website.
Lodge a complicated claim
ACC legislation describes some claims for cover as ‘complicated’. Generally these claims require additional information before ACC can make a cover decision.
These claims are for:
- mental injury caused by certain criminal acts (sensitive claims). To lodge a claim see Lodge a sensitive claim
- personal injury caused by work-related gradual process, disease or infection. To lodge a claim see Lodge a gradual process, disease or infection claim
- personal injury caused by treatment (before 1 July 2005 this was called medical misadventure). To lodge a claim see Lodge a claim for treatment injury
- claims that are lodged more than 12 months after the date the personal injury occurred. To lodge a claim see Lodge a claim over 12 months after injury occurred
- work-related mental injury as a result of witnessing a traumatic event while working.
Lodge claims for employees of Accredited Employers. Accredited Employers are responsible for their own workplace health and safety, injury management including rehabilitation, and management of employees' workplace injury claims.
Read Codes are a system that provides a specific diagnosis of an injury. Primary care providers must use Read Codes for all ACC claims.
Everyone in New Zealand is eligible for ACC cover for personal injuries caused by accident. Entitlements are available to assist clients whose claims have been accepted by ACC.
Clients who require time off work because of their injury will need a medical certificate from a medical provider.
ACC has a number of tools to help you search for registered treatment providers.
Reviewed: 6 November 2014