How do I make a claim?

This section tells you what to do if you are injured and how to make a claim. It also gives information about the different types of injuries.

If you are injured

If you are injured the first thing you need to do is see a doctor, nurse or healthcare professional, or go to the Accident and Medical clinic.

They will:

  • treat your injury
  • fill out your ACC claim form
  • send the claim form to us.

What you have to pay

They’ll usually ask you to pay part of the cost of your visit. If we accept your claim, we’ll pay the rest directly to the health provider.

If we accept your claim

We’ll write or call to tell you if we’ve accepted your claim. You’ll get a claim number to use if you want to contact us with any queries.

We have Maori, Pacific and Asian advisors who can provide cultural support and help. We also have interpreters for 30 different languages. See In your language for cultural support and access details.

If you have to stay off work

If you can’t return to work because of your injury, we may compensate you for your loss of income. Go to Weekly compensation – loss of earnings to find out if you qualify.

Injury in New Zealand

If you get injured in New Zealand, even if you are visiting from overseas, we can help with funding for treatment and other support.

Injury while travelling overseas

If you get injured overseas while you’re on holiday or working, we may be able to help you when you return to New Zealand.

Employee injuries

We can support you as an employer when an employee is injured, whether it is work-related or not. We can help you and your injured employee, and create return to work programmes that are appropriate to the size of your business.

Injury causing death

If someone close to you dies as a result of an injury, we may be able to help.

Other injuries

For some injuries, we may refer your claim to a specialised unit and require more detailed information from you or your doctor to help decide what specific help you need.

These injuries include:

Injury from medical treatment

If you suffer an injury as a result of medical treatment, it is called a ‘treatment injury’ and we’ll need specific details of your treatment.

Dental injury

You may qualify for a range of dental treatments if you suffer a dental injury in an accident, playing sport or as a result of treatment.

Hearing loss

You may suffer a hearing loss in an accident or over time in a workplace. If your injury is work-related, we’ll need more information from you and your employer.

Mental effects of injury from sexual abuse or assault

We cover the mental effects of sexual abuse or a sexual assault. You can access ACC funded therapy services at any time. Go to the Help after sexual abuse or assault page for more information.

Gradual process injury, disease or infection caused by work

If your injury resulted over time from a work-related activity or environment, we may ask you and your employer to give further information.

Updated: 21 March 2016

Reviewed: 21 March 2016