What support can I get?

Treatment costs

Most of the costs associated with treating your injury will be covered by ACC, but you may be asked to pay a surcharge.

What help can I get?

The treatments and services we can assist with include:

  • Acupuncturist
  • Audiologist (hearing)
  • Chiropractor
  • Doctor
  • Hand therapist
  • Hospital treatment and surgery (eg MRI scans, X-rays)
  • Nurse
  • Osteopath
  • Physiotherapist
  • Podiatrist
  • Specialists – initial consultation and follow-up.

Pre-approved treatments

You must get ACC approval before you have:

  • elective surgery. This applies particularly if you decide to have private surgery – even if you have private medical insurance. See Surgery.
  • non-urgent treatment
  • a second course of treatment or another type of treatment (you will also need a written referral from your treatment provider)
  • some dental treatment. See Dental treatment.
  • some travel and accommodation costs. See Travel and accommodation for treatment.

To get approval you must contact ACC Claims.

What do I need to do to get help?

If you are not yet covered by ACC for your injury, see How do I make a claim? for details on what to do.

If you need further treatment, talk to your health professional first. They’ll work out what treatment you need and, if necessary, apply to ACC for help meeting the costs.

If you are entitled to further treatment, you can choose a treatment provider. When you visit, provide them with your ACC claim number. You may need to complete another form.

How am I eligible?

When you seek treatment from your doctor, physiotherapist, dentist or other treatment provider, they will tell you if you are likely to be covered by ACC. See Am I covered?

The help you will get depends on your individual circumstances. Please contact us to confirm if you are eligible, or to identify other ways in which we can help. See Contact ACC claims for our contact information.

What happens next?

If your claim is accepted, ACC will write to you and advise you of your treatment entitlement.

If your claim is declined, ACC will send you a letter explaining why.

There are two main methods of payment for treatment:

  • ACC pay direct to the provider
  • You pay the provider and claim the cost back from ACC. Fill in form ACC001 - Request for assistance.

You should discuss which option is most appropriate with your client service staff member.

In some circumstances you may require additional treatment for your injury after your entitlement ends. Generally, your treatment provider will fill in the necessary forms to request further treatment cover from ACC. If not, you can contact ACC directly to discuss your needs.

If you are unhappy with ACC’s decision, you can ask for a review. See What if I have problems with a claim?

Related legislation

Accident Compensation Act 2001