What support can I get?

Get help with hearing loss

If we accept your claim for hearing loss injury, we assess the type of help or treatment you may receive. This page covers what help you can get, how to get it, eligibility, and how long claim decisions can take.

What we can help you with

Depending on your particular needs, we may be able to pay towards or supply:

  • special equipment, such as hearing aid(s)
  • related consumables, such as batteries
  • other support, such as communication programmes, to help you learn more effective ways to communicate in everyday situations.

If your injury related hearing loss is significant or you have other permanent impairment, as well as hearing loss resulting from your injury, you may also be eligible for an independence allowance or lump sum payment. For more information go to:

Independence Allowance

Lump sum payments.

What you need to do to get help

  • Get in touch about what kind of help we can give you.
    Our contact details
  • Ask your GP to put a claim in on your behalf. (When your claim is first being assessed for cover, usually you’ll be asked to complete a questionnaire and have a hearing assessment and a medical assessment by an Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT) specialist)
  • If you need replacement aids your audiologist can request these for you. If you’re still working in noise, you may need to update details of your noise exposure.

Don’t pay for consultations or hearing devices without talking to us

It’s important not to pay for consultations or hearing devices without talking to us. We can’t guarantee any payment for consultations or hearing devices that we haven’t agreed to.

Check your eligibility for help

To be eligible for treatment or help with hearing loss, you must meet certain criteria, including:

  • your claim for hearing loss has been accepted for cover by us
  • you have entitlement and an assessed need for rehabilitation as a direct result of your hearing loss injury
  • the treatment or help is necessary, appropriate and the most cost-effective option likely to help you achieve independence in your daily life.

We check your hearing loss is due to injury

It’s important for us to be certain that the assistance you’ve asked for is required as a result of the type of hearing loss injury you’ve been covered for.

Your entitlement for rehabilitation depends on how much of your hearing loss is due to injury and how much is caused by other factors, eg age or illness.

How long might we take to determine your eligibility for assistance

Most hearing loss claims are assessed for cover within four months of being lodged. It may take this long to make a decision because of the time it takes to get a report from an Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT) specialist. The specialist’s report is required for us to decide the type of assistance we can provide.

If it’s not possible to make a decision within four months, we’ll ask for your agreement to extend the timeframe.

What happens once we’ve made a decision on your claim

We’ll make a decision about what help we can give you when all the information requested, such as questionnaires and assessment reports, has been received and considered. Then we’ll contact you and let you know if your claim has been accepted or declined.

If your claim is declined, we’ll tell you why.

If your claim is accepted for cover and it is agreed that you need a hearing aid(s) we’ll use the information provided by the ENT specialist to determine how much we can contribute to your hearing aids and fitting fee costs. Our contribution will depend on how much of your hearing loss is due to injury. If some of your hearing loss is due to health conditions, you can also get a contribution to hearing aid costs from the Ministry of Health, administered by us. This is called ‘apportionment’.

If you’re eligible for funding for hearing aids, you’ll need to visit an audiologist to talk about the different types of hearing aids available and what type best suits you and your lifestyle. If you decide to trial hearing aids, the audiologist will arrange for you to be fitted for a trial lasting at least two weeks.

If contributions paid by the Ministry of Health and/or us don’t cover the full cost of your hearing aids, fitting fee and associated services, you’ll need to pay the difference. Your audiologist should provide you with a quote for several hearing aids at different prices so that you can decide the best option for you. You’re also entitled to a quote from a second audiologist if you’re not happy with the options provided.

We can also supply hearing aid batteries, if we provide you with a hearing aid, and contributions towards hearing aid repairs.

It’s important to act on any hearing conservation and protection advice provided during your assessment and, if you’re working, to talk to your employer if changes are recommended. For more information, go to:
Prevent and manage noise induced hearing loss

If you’re unhappy with our decision, you can ask for it to be reviewed:
Get a decision we made reviewed

Related legislation

Accident Compensation Act 2001:

Reviewed: 31 August 2016