What support can I get?

Home help

What help can I get?

You may be eligible for home help, ie help with domestic activities such as cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc when you cannot perform these activities because of a personal injury.

ACC provides home help based on the domestic activities that:

  • you performed before you were injured, and are now unable to perform due to your injury
  • other family members, or members of your household need help with, because of the extra demands that your injury has placed on them.

What do I need to do to get help?

  • Talk to ACC about the kind of help we may be able to provide. Contact us for more information
  • Complete the ACC001 Request for assistance form (PDF 188K), listing details of home help that you need
  • Attach any medical certificates, accounts, receipts or other proof you have to support your claim.


You can also make a verbal application for specific assistance

You can authorise other people, eg a family member or your doctor, to apply for ACC’s help on your behalf.

How am I eligible?

Your eligibility for home help depends on several things, including:

  • how much of the domestic activities you carried out before the injury, and the extent to which you can do those things after the injury
  • the number of household family members, and their need for home help
  • how much the domestic activities were done by other household family members before your injury
  • how much of the domestic activities household family members, or other family members might reasonably be expected to carry out after your injury.

Your case owner will discuss all of these things with you.

The length of time ACC can provide home help for will depend on your injury and recovery. We will discuss your progress with you during your recovery and we may reassess your needs from time to time.


The help you will get depends on your individual circumstances. Contact us to confirm if you are eligible, or to identify other ways in which we can help. If you are unhappy with the decision, you can ask for it to be reviewed. See What if I have problems with a claim?

How long might ACC take to determine if I am eligible?

ACC regards 21 days as a reasonable timeframe for the majority of decisions about what assistance you may be entitled to.

Contact us if you have not heard from us within a reasonable period of time.

What happens next?

ACC will advise you whether your application is accepted. If your needs are straightforward, we may approve the home help you need without having to do a detailed assessment.

Choosing a home help provider

Once your application is approved you’ll need to choose who you want to provide your home help. You can choose from the following three options:

  • a home help agency that has a contract with ACC (we’ll give you a list of contracted providers)
  • a home help agency without a contract with ACC (a non-contracted agency)
  • a private caregiver (someone you know, such as a family member).

If you choose to use an agency:

  • ACC pays agencies direct on receipt of their bill, up to an approved amount
  • the agency is responsible for meeting all the legal and tax obligations of an employer.

We strongly recommend you use an ACC-contracted home help agency in preference to a non-contracted agency, because we check that they provide high quality, professional care.

If you choose to use an agency without a contract with ACC (a non-contracted agency) a co-payment may be required from you if their rate is higher than the rate paid by ACC. There are no co-payments when using an ACC-contracted agency.

If you choose to use a private caregiver:

  • you and your caregiver both need to be aware that you may have income tax, GST, and other legal obligations
  • we strongly recommend that you and your caregiver get advice from an accountant or tax advisor – they can tell you about the implications of receiving these taxable payments from ACC
  • you will also need to decide whether you want ACC to pay your home help provider directly, or pay you directly so that you can pay your provider.

See the Deciding who’ll provide your paid care and support (PDF 295K) information booklet for more detailed information about this choice.

Related legislation

Accident Compensation (AC) Act 2001:

Reviewed: 1 October 2014