What support can I get?

Attendant care

‘Attendant care’ is the term that ACC uses to describe help from another person who performs tasks you cannot do for yourself because of your injury. These tasks include personal care, tasks of daily living and protection from further injury.

What help can I get?

You may be able to get help with:

  • personal care - physical help to move around and to take care of basic personal needs, eg bathing, feeding, and toileting
  • tasks of daily living, eg communicating, knowing where you are, planning and completing tasks
  • protecting you from further injury in your ordinary environment.

What do I need to do to get help?

  • Talk to ACC about the kind of help we may be able to provide. Contact us for contact information
  • Complete the ACC001 Request for assistance form (PDF 188K), listing details of attendant care that you need
  • Attach any medical certificates, accounts, receipts, or other proof you have to support your claim.


  • You can make a verbal application for specific assistance
  • You can authorise other people, eg a family member or your doctor, to apply for ACC’s help on your behalf.

How am I eligible?

Your eligibility for attendant care depends on several things, including:

  • the nature and extent of your injury and how much this impairs your ability to provide your own personal care
  • the extent to which other household family members, or family members outside the home, might reasonably be expected to provide your personal attendant care
  • the rehabilitation outcome that would be achieved by providing this assistance
  • whether attendant care may enable you to attend your place of work or education
  • the degree to which attendant care is required, to give household family members a break from providing attendant care themselves.

Your case owner will discuss all of these with you.

The length of time ACC can help with attendant care will depend on your injury and we may reassess your needs from time to time.


  • help you will get depends on your individual circumstances. Contact us to confirm if you are eligible, or to identify other ways in which we can help. If you are unhappy with the decision, you can ask for it to be reviewed. See What if I have problems with a claim?

How long might ACC take to determine if I am eligible?

ACC regards 21 days as a reasonable timeframe for the majority of decisions about what assistance you may be entitled to.

Contact us if you have not heard from us within a reasonable period of time.

What happens next?

ACC will advise you whether your application is accepted. If your needs are straightforward, we may approve the attendant care help you need without having to do a detailed assessment.

Choosing a caregiver

Once your application is approved you’ll need to choose who you want to provide your attendant care. You can choose from the following three options:

  • an attendant care agency that has a contract with ACC (we’ll give you a list of contracted providers)
  • an attendant care agency without a contract with ACC (a non-contracted agency)
  • a private caregiver (someone you know, such as a family member).

If you choose to use an agency:

  • ACC pays agencies directly on receipt of their bill, up to an approved amount
  • the agency is responsible for meeting all the legal and tax obligations of an employer.

We strongly recommend you use an ACC-contracted attendant care agency in preference to a non-contracted agency, because we check that they provide high quality, professional care.

If you choose to use an agency without a contract with ACC (a non-contracted agency) a co-payment may be required from you if their rate is higher than the rate paid by ACC. There are no co-payments when using an ACC-contracted agency.

If you choose to use a private caregiver:

  • you and your caregiver both need to be aware that you may have income tax, GST, and other legal obligations
  • we strongly recommend that you and your caregiver get advice from an accountant or tax advisor – they can tell you about the implications of receiving these taxable payments from ACC
  • you will also need to decide whether you want ACC to pay your caregiver directly, or pay you directly so that your can pay your caregiver.

See the Deciding who’ll provide your paid care and support (PDF 295K) information booklet for more detailed information about this choice.

Related legislation

Accident Compensation (AC) Act 2001:

Reviewed: 1 October 2014