What support can I get?


We may be able to provide you with personal aids and appliances to help you become independent in your daily life as quickly as possible.

What help can I get?

We may be able to pay for equipment to help with:

  • your mobility, such as a wheelchair or walking frame
  • daily living tasks or personal care, such as a shower stool or special kitchen utensils
  • communications, such as a voice device or reading aid
  • visual or hearing difficulties, such as a Braille device or a special telephone
  • getting you back to work, such as a chair or modifications to your workplace.

We may also be able to pay for consumables used with an aid or appliance, such as batteries.

See Artificial limbs for more specific information about this type of aid.

What do I need to do to get help?

  • Talk to us about what kind of help we may be able to provide
  • Complete the ACC001 Request for assistance form (PDF 655K), listing details of equipment that you require
  • Attach any medical certificates, accounts, receipts or other proof you have to support your claim.


  • You can also make a verbal application for assistance, but you need to make sure you ask for specific help, such as a shower stool for your bathroom at home
  • You can authorise other people, eg a family member or your doctor, to make applications for assistance on your behalf.

Who is eligible?

You may be eligible to receive equipment, or funding for equipment, if:

  • we have accepted your claim for injury
  • you need special equipment to help you gain independence.

When we receive your request for equipment, we’ll arrange for an assessor to meet you, or someone who is acting on your behalf, to find out what your needs are. The assessor will also discuss different ways to meet your needs – sometimes providing equipment is not the only or the best option to help with your recovery.

We are not responsible for providing recommended equipment if it:

  • has a similar function to something you already have (except if yours is unsuitable because of its age or condition)
  • has a similar function to something you got rid of after your injury, and which was suitable
  • is more expensive than an item that is strictly required to meet your needs
  • needs to be replaced because you neglected, abused or misused it (or any item used with it).

The help you’ll get depends on your individual circumstances. Contact us to confirm if you are eligible, or to identify other ways in which we can help.

How long might we take to determine if I am eligible?

We regard 21 days as a reasonable timeframe for the majority of decisions about what assistance you may be entitled to.

Please contact us if you have not heard from us within a reasonable period of time.

What happens next?

After we get the assessor’s report, we’ll make a decision about what help we can give you and contact you.

If we decline your request, we’ll tell you why.

If we agree that you need special equipment, we’ll work with you and the assessor to make sure you receive the right equipment to meet your needs. You may need to trial the equipment, or it may need to be specially designed to suit you.

We own all the equipment we buy and supply through our providers, so you can use it for as long as you need it. Generally, equipment will be delivered to you within five working days, unless you need it urgently, or the equipment needs to be specially made.

If you do not need to use the equipment permanently, we’ll arrange for it to be returned when you have finished with it.

If you are unhappy with the decision, you can ask for it to be reviewed. Go to What if I have problems with a claim?

Related legislation

Accident Compensation (AC) Act 2001

Section 81: Corporation’s liability to provide key aspects of social rehabilitation (external website)

Schedule 1, Clause 13: Aids and appliances (external website)

Updated: 20 January 2016

Reviewed: 20 January 2016