What support can I get?

Education support

If your child finds it difficult to learn, or get involved in their usual activities at their school or early childhood service because of their injury, we may be able to help.

What help can I get?

The type and amount of assistance your child will receive depends on how much their injury affects their ability to participate and learn in their everyday school or early childhood activities.

If your child is having difficulty keeping up with lessons due to absences caused by their injury, we may be able to help fund a teacher aide.

Transport costs

We may also be able to help with transport to school costs if your child’s injury means they have difficulty getting to and from school or their early childhood care. See Funded transport to get to work, school or for other necessary trips for more information.

What do I need to do to get help?

Contact your ACC client services contact to discuss your child’s needs, or complete an ACC001 Request for assistance form.

Your child’s ACC client services contact will:

  • talk with you about the process for assessing your child’s injury-related needs at school or at their early childhood education service
  • work with you, your child, your child’s school or early childhood service, and other people who need to be involved to assess how your child’s injury-related needs can best be met.

A professional assessor or team of assessors may be asked to help with this process.

How am I eligible?

Your child must meet age and enrolment criteria to be eligible for education support.

Eligibility depends on:

  • the rehabilitation outcome that would be achieved by providing the support
  • the nature of the injury, and the extent to which it impacts the child’s education
  • the extent of the educational support the child received before the injury
  • the extent to which education support may help to reduce the need for further rehabilitation
  • any alternative means of education support available to the claimant including:
  • other help the child may be entitled to from ACC
  • other help they may be entitled to from other parties
  • the extent to which the education provider may be expected to provide education support after the injury.

The help you’ll get depends on your child’s individual circumstances. Contact us to confirm if they are eligible, or to identify other ways in which we can help.

How long might ACC take to determine if I am eligible?

ACC regards 21 days as a reasonable timeframe for the majority of decisions about what assistance you may be entitled to.

Contact us if you have not heard from us within a reasonable period of time.

What happens next?

Once an initial assessment is complete, your child’s ACC client services contact and the school or early childhood person will:

  • talk with you about your child’s injury-related needs, and the types of support that will help them to learn and be more independent
  • explain what assistance ACC can provide, and what assistance the school or other education agency can provide
  • ask for your agreement to the planned support
  • arrange with you when to review your child’s progress to see if their needs have changed. They will then arrange for the agreed support to be provided.

If you are unhappy with the decision, you can ask for it to be reviewed. See What if I have problems with a claim?

Related legislation

Accident Compensation Act 2001

Updated: 12 May 2015

Reviewed: 11 May 2015