What support can I get?

Home modifications

ACC may be able to assist with modifications to help you live independently in your home following your injury. Assistance may include modifications to enable you to gain access to your home, move around within your home or undertake personal hygiene tasks, such as showering.

What do I need to do to get help?

Talk to ACC about what kind of help we may be able to provide.

Where appropriate, ACC will arrange for an occupational therapist to talk with you (or someone acting for you) about what home modifications may be required to meet your injury-related needs and different ways your needs could be met.

How am I eligible?

You must have a claim for personal injury accepted by ACC.

In deciding what kind of modifications ACC will fund, we consider:

  • the advice of the occupational therapist who assessed your injury-related housing needs
  • the advice of a building advisor specifically engaged by ACC to determine housing modification options that will meet your injury-related needs (and where necessary, to obtain local authority consents and quotations)
  • how long you intend, or are able to, stay in your current home
  • options for alternative living arrangements
  • your expected recovery time
  • the costs and benefits of modifying your home.

The help you can get from ACC depends on your individual circumstances. Contact us to confirm if you are eligible, or to identify other ways in which we can help.

How long might ACC take to determine if I am eligible?

Provided we have all the relevant information about your home modifications, we will try to advise our decision within six weeks. Some home modifications can be complex and may take more time for ACC to reach a decision.

Contact us if you have not heard from us within a reasonable period of time.

What happens next?

ACC will contact you and advise in writing if your application for home modifications has been accepted, and the modifications to your home can start.

If we decline your claim, we’ll tell you why.

Related legislation

Accident Compensation Act 2001:

Updated: 27 May 2015

Reviewed: 15 May 2015