What support can I get?

Funeral grant

When someone dies as a result of an injury, ACC can help towards the costs of their burial, cremation and related ceremonies. A funeral grant can be paid for both New Zealanders and overseas visitors to New Zealand. The funeral doesn’t have to be in New Zealand. This grant can also be used for memorial costs if the body is not recovered.

What do I need to do to get help?

The funeral grant is requested as part of the claim process. For more information about making a claim, see Injury causing death.

How am I eligible?

The estate of someone who has died as a result of an injury caused by an accident is normally eligible for a funeral grant. This can be paid for a visitor to New Zealand, and in certain circumstances, for a New Zealand resident who is killed whilst overseas on holiday. This grant is usually paid directly to the funeral director, or if the account has been paid, the grant can be reimbursed to the estate, or the person who paid the account.

How long might ACC take to determine if I am eligible?

All accidental death claims that have been accepted by ACC are eligible for a funeral grant. If your claim is likely to be delayed we’ll contact you to discuss.

Contact us
if you have not heard from us within a reasonable period of time.

What happens next?

If the funeral costs are to be paid directly to the funeral director then the executor of the estate also needs to send an ACC136 Funeral grant payment authority (DOC 161K) form to ACC (if they haven’t already provided this information when completing the ACC21 form). Contact ACC Claims for a copy of this form or you can download the form on the ACC website by visiting www.acc.co.nz.

The estate or funeral director needs to send a detailed invoice to ACC showing the costs of the funeral.

If the account has been paid, we’ll also need a receipt of payment, showing who paid the account and how much was paid.

Once we have received the invoice for the cost of the funeral (and confirmation of payment, if applicable) we’ll make payment directly to the funeral director, or reimburse the estate, or the person who paid the account.

We’ll then write to the estate to let them know the payment has been made.

If the cost of the funeral is less than the maximum funeral grant amount, the balance can be used for any other funeral or memorial related costs in the future.

When someone dies as a result of an injury there are other ways that ACC may be able to help, see:

If you are unhappy with the decision, you can ask for it to be reviewed. See What if I have problems with a claim?

Additional funeral grant for families of homicide victims

In October 2009, the Government announced a package of initiatives designed to provide additional assistance for victims of serious crime. Funding for the initiatives comes from revenue gathered through the offender levy, imposed on all convicted offenders from 1 July 2010, and funding from the disestablished Sentencing Council.

One of the initiatives introduced is a top-up to ACC’s funeral grant. From 1 November 2009, families of homicide (defined as murder or manslaughter) victims are able to claim a top-up to the existing ACC funeral grant. A maximum of $10,000 may be claimed by families of homicide victims (including the maximum ACC funeral grant), or the actual cost of the funeral or future memorial costs up to the value of $10,000.

ACC administers the additional funeral grant on behalf of the Government and the top-up is only payable where the police have confirmed that the death is a result of homicide and the maximum ACC funeral grant has already been claimed.

If you believe that the additional funeral grant for families of homicide victims may be payable, you should let ACC know so we can advise you how to apply.

Related legislation

Accident Compensation (AC) Act 2001

Updated: 9 November 2015

Reviewed: 9 April 2015