What support can I get?

Approved treatment providers

The following treatment providers can register ACC claims. These providers are defined in the Accident Compensation Act 2001.

You can visit any of these treatment providers to find out about what support can I get?. However, in some cases ACC may need to get a second opinion from a doctor before we accept your claim.

  • acupuncturists
  • audiologists
  • chiropractors
  • counsellors, see Registered Counsellors to find the nearest registered counsellor in your region
  • dentists
  • medical laboratory technologists
  • medical practitioners. These are the only treatment providers who can give ACC clients a medical certificate for time off work after the first week, other than nurse practitioners[1]
  • nurses
  • nurse practitioners, registered nurse practitioners can submit medical certificates for time off work after the first week for ACC clients
  • occupational therapists
  • optometrists
  • osteopaths
  • physiotherapists
  • podiatrists
  • speech therapists.

1. Employers can request a medical certificate from other types of registered health professionals for an employee’s first week off work after an injury.

Last updated: 19 September 2012

Last reviewed: 24 June 2014