What support can I get?

Once ACC has accepted your claim, we will discuss with you what help you need to get you back on track. The type of help we can provide depends on what your needs are.


ACC can contribute to a wide range of medical and related costs, including doctor’s visits, treatment from various other health professionals, surgery, x-rays, prescription costs, etc.

For more information see:

Managing at home

If you need help managing at home following your injury, we can arrange various types of help for things like housework, your personal care and childcare.

For more information see:

Your work situation

We can pay you weekly compensation if you have to stop work because of an injury. We can also arrange vocational rehabilitation to help you get back to work.

For more information see:

Getting a child back to school

When your child is injured you may need help to get them back to school.

For more information see:

Getting to places you need to be

If you need to travel to get to work or treatment, we can cover the costs of transport and in some cases, overnight accommodation too.

For more information see:

Long term injuries

If you are likely to take a long time to recover from your injury, we can help to minimise the disruption to your life.

For more information see, Rehabilitation plan.

Permanent impairment

If you have a permanent impairment as a result of your injury we can help you make the adjustment to living with the impairment.

For more information see:

Injuries causing death

Various grants and payments are available from ACC in the event of your or a family member’s death as a result of injury.

For more information see:

Funeral grant

Survivor’s grant

Weekly compensation – accidental death

Childcare payments following accidental death.

Maori and other cultures

ACC has Maori, Pacific and Asian advisors who can provide cultural support and help. We also have interpreters for 30 different languages.

For more information see, In your language.

Health service provider responsibilities

Health service providers need to comply with ACC and health legislation, ACC policies and professional standards when treating you and making claims for you.

For more information, see Health service provider responsibilities in the For Providers section of our website.

Last updated: 9 March 2015

Last reviewed: 20 January 2015