Red Cross and St John offer a first aid course specifically for sports injuries. The course has been developed by Sports Medicine New Zealand in conjunction with ACC and SPARC. ACC has also produced a sports first aid kit, which is available for purchase.
The Sports First Aid course is an eight-hour course designed to focus on first aid that is relevant for the effective treatment and management of sporting injuries. It is appropriate for coaches, managers, parents and other individuals who are involved with sport.
Topics covered include:
- role of the sports first aider
- basic anatomy
- injury prevention – ACC’s 10 point action plan
- injury management (including bleeding, hard and soft tissue injuries, head injuries and spinal injuries).
The course is available nationwide. For more information, contact either the Red Cross or St John directly.
Freephone: 0800733276 (0800REDCROSS)
Freephone: 0800785646 (0800STJOHN)
ACC has produced a first aid kit and a cooler bag containing equipment for applying the R.I.C.E.D. (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation, Diagnosis) procedure.
The sports first aid kits are $153.33 each (including GST).
- Complete the ACC SportSmart first aid kit order form (PDF150K)
- Mail the order form, with a cheque for the exact amount, to:
PO Box 242
Make cheques payable to Accident Compensation Corporation.