Calling all young drivers to ASB Polyfest 2017
ACC is providing an opportunity for young people to get behind the wheel at Polyfest and learn the skills to drive safely.
Young New Zealanders aged 15-24 make up 13% of New Zealand’s driving population. According to Ministry of Transport road crash data, 28% of all fatal crashes in 2013-2015 involved a driver between the ages of 15 and 24.
ACC’s Auckland Community Injury Prevention Team Manager, Andrew Redfearn says these are alarming statistics.
“We want to reduce accidents and fatal crashes by our young drivers. We want them to become confident and capable drivers, and know all about the learner licence and practical driving tests.
“Obtaining a driving licence is very often the passport to a job,” says Mr Redfearn.
The ACC site at Polyfest, located at A2-A and A2-B, close to the Samoan and the Diversity stages, will feature two driver simulators for people to have a go at getting behind the wheel and receive some driving tips from professional Driving Instructors.
“We will also be showing people how to get access to the joint ACC, NZTA web site Drive.govt.nz which takes young drivers on the Learner Licence journey,” says Mr Redfearn.
The highest risk of crashing is in the first six months of driving solo on the Restricted Licence when young drivers are less experienced and skilled.
ACC is inviting and encouraging secondary schools participating at the 2017 Polyfest to get students to participate in the ACC Young Driver Campaign. ACC has prepared exciting prizes for the following:
1. The School with most students entering and participating in the ACC Young Driver Campaign
- Two groups of five students going through the driving lessons at a total value of $670. Each student will go through a one hour driving lesson
- Any student that passes the Learner’s test can register for the Ignition Programme to receive three free driving lessons with an AA Driving Instructor, if he or she registers to become an AA member within two months of passing the Learner License test.
2. Individual prizes
- Friday 17th: a name will be drawn from the box of entries to win a $50 vouch from JB Hi FI
- Saturday 18th: a name will be drawn from the box of entries to win a $50 voucher from Rebel Sports.
- Any student who passes the Learner’s test can register for the AA Ignition Programme and receive three free driving lessons with an AA Driving Instructor.
“We encourage families to come along and get-behind-the-wheel with ACC, and learn about what it takes to be a good, safe driver,” says Mr Redfearn.