Minister, CEO and Executive
ACC is a Crown entity. It's governed by a Board that is responsible to the Minister for ACC. The Chief Executive reports to the Board.
Minister for ACC
Each year the Minister sends us a Letter of Agreement. It's the basis of our business planning process, and sets out the various areas Government would like us to focus on during the coming year eg, injury prevention.
Honourable Carmel Sepuloni
Minister for ACC, Minister for Social Development and Disability Issues, Associate Minister for Arts, Culture and Heritage and Pacific Peoples.
Associate Minister for ACC
Honourable Willie Jackson
Associate Minister for ACC, Minister of Māori Development, Associate Minister for Justice.
Scott started his role as Chief Executive of ACC on 1 May 2013. He's a seasoned Chief Executive and insurance professional. He got his global leadership and governance experience through a career working in many countries and cultures.
Before this, he:
- was Regional CEO for Willis International Limited (Central and Eastern Europe, the Middle East and Africa)
- was Regional CEO for the Royal & Sun Alliance (RSA) Insurance Group (Asia and the Middle East)
- held CEO roles for ACE Insurance and CIGNA P&C (South Africa, Japan, Hong Kong, Philippines, Thailand, Indonesia, Australia and New Zealand).
He’s also a board director of:
- Chubb Insurance in Australia and New Zealand.
Scott’s driving philosophy is to make sure the organisations he leads always give quality customer service and outcomes.
The Chief Executive leads the Executive. This is made up of senior managers from each of our business groups.
- oversees the leadership and management
- makes sure we achieve all goals.
Chief Customer Officer
The Chief Customer Officer focuses on:
- designing our customer-focused activities
- acting as the voice of the customer for our organisation.
Emma joined ACC in 2010 and has been with ACC for the past eight years. Emma is passionate about supporting genuine engagement between ACC and its customers and stakeholders, allowing us to achieve positive outcomes for all New Zealanders. As the Chief Customer Officer Emma is responsible for approximately 200 staff.
- she held the role of Head of Injury Prevention Partnerships and Delivery where she had a focus across the violence, community, road, sport and falls portfolios. Emma was responsible for developing long lasting partnerships for ACC to make a significant difference in Injury Prevention
- earlier in her career, Emma practised as a speech and language therapist and holds a Masters in Communication Disorders from Canterbury University.
Chief Financial Officer
The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) provides financial leadership and supervision across ACC. He's in charge of:
- finance activities including financial accounting and control
- performance management, budgeting, forecasting and planning
- procurement, decision support and investment.
John joined ACC in April 2017. John is a full member of the Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand.
Before this, he:
- had more than 20 years’ experience abroad, working mainly in the energy sector in the UK and Australia..
- was Finance Director of the UK retail energy supplier EDF Energy, one of the UK’s largest energy companies and part of one of the world’s largest electricity producers, Electricité de France
- had 11 years’ experience at one of the large international accounting firms, first working in Wellington and then abroad in Russia, Uzbekistan and the UK.
Chief Risk and Actuarial Officer
The Chief Risk and Actuarial Officer oversees the Risk Management Office and Assurance Services, and makes sure all our risks are identified and managed.
He advises on operational and financial performance for:
- funding policy
- levy rates
- other financial objectives.
Herwig joined ACC in February 2012.
Before this, he was the:
- Chief Actuary at Tower Limited
- Chief Actuary at Farmers’ Mutual group.
Chief Operating Officer
The Chief Operating Officer is in charge of:
- leading ACC’s operational performance, ensuring delivery against the Service Agreement including alignment of Group business plans to the Service Agreement
- leading the Operations Group to provide effective and efficient multi-channel operations across all three customer groups – Client, Business Customer and Provider
- provides external claims management through third parties and Accredited Employers and manages and processes provider payments and weekly compensation
- ACC’s Client, Business Customer and Provider transformation programme
- internal communications to ACC on operational matters.
Mike joined ACC in 2009. He’s passionate about supporting genuine engagement between ACC and its customers and stakeholders, allowing us to achieve positive outcomes for all New Zealanders. As the Chief Operating Officer, he’s responsible for 2,700 people.
Before this, he:
- held the role of Chief Customer Officer where he was responsible for the organisations ‘voice of the customer’ and the 150 staff working on the design of all ACC’s customer-facing activities
- held the role of Head of Client Service Delivery where he was responsible for more than 2,000 staff across 25 branches, six short term claim centres and four service delivery processing centres
- was the National Sales Manager at IAG NZ for 10 years with responsibility for claims, sales and support, and partnerships.
Chief Talent Officer
The Chief Talent Officer is in charge of all staff-related matters.
She combines all areas of talent management, including:
- developing and leading the people strategy
- health and safety
- internal policy
- organisation practices.
Sharon joined ACC in June 2017. She's passionate about achieving organisational outcomes through effective engagement and management of people.
Sharon brings strong experience in:
- shaping talent strategy
- supporting significant organisational change
- leading cultural transformation
- improving work health and safety performance.
Before this, she held:
- the role of Director People and Workforce Strategy at the University of Newcastle from 2013
- a number of senior human resources roles across the education, mining and manufacturing sectors in Australia.
Chief Investment Officer
The Chief Investment Officer has overall executive responsibility for the operation of ACC’s investment function. This includes making sure:
- ACC’s investment fund delivers superior risk-adjusted returns on a sustainable basis to support ACC’s vision, values and purpose
- that risks associated with ACC’s investments and associated operations are appropriately managed to protect investment returns and maintain and enhance ACC’s reputation.
Paul has been a member of the leadership group of the ACC Investment Team for the past seven years. Since November, he has been the Acting Chief Investment Officer. He has a deep understanding of the ACC investment fund’s role of making sure it has sufficient funds to help pay the future costs on injuries that have happened.
Before this, he was:
Chief Investment Officer of both AMP Capital Investors and the New Zealand Superannuation Fund
Chief Advisor to the Minister of Finance
an economist with the New Zealand Treasury and stockbroker Buttle Wilson (now UBS).
Chief Technology and Transformation Officer
The Chief Technology and Transformation Officer has end to end accountability for leading ACC’s Information Technology strategy development. He's accountable for defining the initiatives that will deliver on this strategy and for working with our strategic partners to deliver and manage the solutions required. He is also responsible for our Enterprise Portfolio Management Office (EPMO) which provides enterprise-wide support for programme and project governance and supports the business to deliver change.
Peter is an experienced technology executive, with over 25 years leading technology change, mainly in financial services.
He joined ACC in January 2018, and is the Senior Responsible Officer for Analytics 2.0 and Eos 8.8 upgrade projects.
Before this, he:
- was Group Manager, Technology for New Zealand Post for three years
- held Chief Information roles with Westpac New Zealand and BNZ
- had senior leadership roles for Barclay’s Bank in the UK and Singapore.