Types of cover for self-employed

If you're self-employed or a contractor and can't work because of an injury, you're covered by CoverPlus. This is so you'll still get paid while you're recovering.

You can choose to change to CoverPlus Extra. It gives you more control over how much of your income you want us to cover and means you can lower the levies you pay.

On this page

    How our standard cover works – CoverPlus

    If you're self-employed or a contractor you'll automatically be on CoverPlus. We’ll pay your compensation at up to 80% of your taxable income based on the most recently completed financial year.

    We won't pay you for the first week after your injury.

    Eg, if you earn $52,000 per year on CoverPlus you'd get up to 80% of that each week, which is $800 before tax.

    We’ll also pay towards the cost of your treatment and rehabilitation.

    You can calculate the levies you'll pay on CoverPlus:

    Calculating your levy

    How CoverPlus Extra works

    CoverPlus Extra allows you to choose how much of your income you want covered if you've had an accident and can't work. We'll pay you 100% of your chosen amount as weekly payments until you're able to get back to work.

    Eg, if you chose $52,000 per year as your level of income cover, we'd pay 100% of that each week, which is $1000 before tax.

    CoverPlus Extra with Lower Levels of Weekly Compensation

    You can also choose to go on a Lower Levels of Weekly Compensation option. You'll pay a slightly lower levy and your level of weekly compensation reduces the more hours you are able to work.

    This option can be selected on the ACC CoverPlus Extra Application form.

    Why change to CoverPlus Extra?

    This type of cover might suit you if:

    • you want more control over how much you pay in levies. The lower level of cover you choose, the less you pay in levies 
    • your earnings vary every year. As you chose a set amount of income to cover, you'll always know how much we'll pay if you have an injury and you can't work.

    You can calculate the levies you'll pay on CoverPlus Extra:

    Calculating your levy

    Choosing a level of cover

    You can apply for any amount of income cover between $26,208 and $101,029. This range changes each year. CoverPlus Extra is subject to underwriting approval.

    If you're not sure what level of cover works best for you, it's a good idea to talk to a third party for advice. Or you can talk to us on:

    Phone 0508 426 837 
    Email cpx@acc.co.nz

    Check you're eligible for CoverPlus Extra

    To be eligible for CoverPlus Extra, you need to be:

    How to apply for CoverPlus Extra

    Use our online form to apply for CoverPlus Extra:

    Apply for CoverPlus Extra online

    Confirming your cover

    We'll be in touch if we need extra information to process your application. Once we've processed your application we'll post you a policy acceptance form.

    You need to sign and send the form back to us to accept your new cover. When we receive your form we'll send you an invoice. Contact us if you can't pay by the due date as your policy will be cancelled if it's not paid on time.

    Last published: 12 December 2018