Most of our offices are now open and a Vaccine Pass is not required. Locations remaining closed: Hutt Valley, Porirua, Masterton, Greymouth, Alexandra, Whakatane, Whanganui.

ACC levy invoicing in 2021

We’re shifting our communications and levy account management online. Here's what you can expect for your levy invoice in 2021.

Protecting you, and your most important assets

Think of ACC as no-fault injury cover for everyone who’s had an accident, no matter what happens or where they are.

Everyone in Aotearoa contributes to ACC to ensure that we can help prevent injuries and provide care, rehabilitation, and cover for loss of income when the unforeseen happens.

The ACC work levy each business pays protects their most important asset – their people.

The Work levy you pay directly contributes to ACC’s Work Account, which covers the cost of injuries caused by accidents at work. Everyone in business – employers, self-employed and contractors – pay levies.

You can find general information in our business section, but this page will help you understand 2021 invoicing more specifically.

Manage your ACC levy account online

If you haven’t already, now is the time to sign up to MyACC for Business.

You can make payment, update details and request more information using the Live Chat function on the site.

Login or register now at MyACC for Business.

I’m self-employed, when should I receive my invoice?  

Our standard cover – CoverPlus 

You will receive your invoice from September, once we’ve received your earnings from Inland Revenue. 

Optional cover – CoverPlus Extra (CPX) 

CoverPlus Extra (CPX) invoices were issued in April.  

You may receive a further invoice in September for the Working Safer levy, which is based on your Inland Revenue supplied earnings, rather than your agreed level of cover. 

Customers who weren’t on CPX for the full-year will receive a part-year CoverPlus invoice. 

I’m an employer, when should I receive my invoice? 

You will receive your ACC Workplace Cover levy invoice for PAYE (pay as you earn) employees from July. If you also have non-PAYE shareholder employees, or are self-employed, we may send you a further invoice after we’ve received these earnings from Inland Revenue. 

ACC has a wide range of ways to pay your levy invoice including payment in full on the due date, or via instalments.

Why have you contacted me to confirm my details prior to my invoice? 

We want your invoice to be corrrect the first time, so we're giving you the option to view or update your policy details prior to the invoice being sent. 

We’re also encouraging all businesses to sign up for MyACC for Business and update their levy communication preference to 'email' to make it easier and more efficient to send invoices.

How are ACC levies calculated? 

This is different for every business. We'll base your Work levy on: 

  • the risk of injury at your work 
  • your claims history 
  • your liable income or payroll. 

Calculating your levies 

Why am I being charged self-employed ACC levies when I received schedular payments?

Schedular payments are payments made to contractors who perform certain activities. Tax is deducted from these payments, but not ACC levies. Contractors are self-employed for ACC levy purposes. If you’re unsure who paid your schedular payments, you can check this with Inland Revenue.

IRD schedular payments

Why is my self-employed liable income more than my taxable income with Inland Revenue?

If you’re on our standard cover, CoverPlus, work full-time and earn less than the minimum liable income level over a tax year, we’ll use the minimum amount (currently $36,816) to calculate your levies for that year. Full-time work is more than 30 hours a week, on average, over a tax year.

If you work part-time you won’t be affected by the minimum level.  Your levy is based on your actual liable income. Part-time work is an average of 30 hours or less a week over a tax year.

If we’ve got this wrong, you can correct your employment status in MyACC for Business. Once amended, we’ll automatically send you a reassessed invoice.

Calculating your levies

Register or login to MyACC for Business

Why am I being charged self-employed ACC levies, my income is passive?

If you’ve mistakenly listed your self-employed income as active this will need to be corrected with Inland Revenue.

For example you were a sleeping partner and received partnership income in recognition of your capital investment in the partnership, but did not take any active part in the day-to-day operation or management of the business.

Office administration and management activities are not passive income and are liable for ACC levies.

Once corrected, we’ll automatically send you a reassessed invoice. Talk with your accountant or financial advisor to make any adjustments.

Change income tax assessment details with IRD

How does my claims history affect my levy invoice? 

Once your business has been running for over three years, we'll have a good picture of what your claims history looks like. We'll then add you to a programme and adjust your Work levy based on this history. Your levy can stay the same, be discounted, or have a loading. 

How your claims history affects your levy invoice

I’m an employer, how will my provisional levies be calculated? 

We’ll automatically calculate your provisional levies for 2022 (1 April 2021 to 31 March 2022) using your PAYE payroll from 2021 (1 April 2020 to 31 March 2021). 

If your PAYE payroll has significantly changed for 2022, please update this by adding an estimate in MyACC for Business.  

If you’re a non-PAYE shareholder, contact us by email or phone 0800 222 776

My business is still affected by the impacts of COVID-19, can you provide me with additional support making payment?  

The financial impact of COVID-19 may be ongoing, and changes to your business can happen quickly. 

We’re here to support you if you’re unsure you can meet your ACC obligations. 

If you’re unable to pay your invoice in full, you can manage your cashflow through MyACC for Business by setting up a payment plan over three, six, or 10 months. If you require more support than what’s available through our online service, please get in touch. 

The most important thing is to let us know before the due date in order to avoid any penalties. 

How do I get future invoices emailed?

Register or login to your online account at MyACC for Business and update your levy communication to 'email'.

I have had a reassessment which has resulted in a new invoice, is this my new balance to pay?

No, invoices and credit notes do not show the account balance. To see your account balance visit MyACC for Business.

What happens if I stopped earning income or paying staff halfway through the levy year?

Register or login to MyACC for Business to cease your account which may result in a reassessment

Alternatively, contact us by email or phone 0800 222 776.

Why have I received two or more invoices at the same time?

If you file earnings over multiple years at the same time or close together this may result in ACC issuing multiple invoices. If you filed Self-employed income, Shareholder income, and pay staff PAYE wages you will receive a different invoice for each policy.

What happens if I do not pay or make contact before my due date?

The account could incur penalty interest or be referred to an external debt collection agency.

What happens if my invoice was originally sent to an old or incorrect address and I have been charged penalty interest?

Email the Collections and Recoveries team or contact them on 0800 729 538, option 2, to update your details and review the penalty interest added.

What happens if I’m set up for direct debit but I want to pay my invoice earlier manually?

Manual payment can be made at least five days before the due date to prevent the direct debit payment from being deducted. If you pay within five days of the direct debit due date we will receive double payment of the invoice. 

How are ACC levies treated for tax purposes? 

The Earner levy and the GST component of the Earner’s levy, are non-deductible as they relate to non-workplace cover (ie accidents and injuries outside the workplace). 

Only business expenses can be claimed as tax-deductible, which applies to Work levies and Working Safer levies (including their respective GST components). Inland Revenue can provide further information. 

Inland Revenue

Why we levy businesses

Last published: 17 August 2021