Road injury statistics
Find statistics on injury claims for accidents that happened on our roads.
- 2022 injury costs
- New and active claims in 2022
- Claims and costs by year, and by type of road accident - 2015 to 2023 (ytd)
- New road accident claims by region
- Caveats to this data
Claims and costs by year
|Year||New claims||Active claims||Cost of active claims|
By type of road accident
Claims by year, by type of road accident
|Year||Car||Motorcycle||Pedestrian||Cycling||Bus||Other (includes truck, ATV, and other vehicles)|
Find out about the work we're involved in to prevent injuries on the road:
- A calendar year is 1 January to 31 December.
- Accredited employer claims have been excluded.
- 'New claims' have been counted by the date that ACC registered a claim. This can be immediately after the injury occurred or at any later stage.
- 'Active claims' are claims that generated a payment in the relevant calendar years. These claims were not necessarily registered, or had the accident occur, in the same calendar year.
- Costs provided are exclusive of GST.
- Costs are based on payment date. Payment date may be different to the date of service.
- Costs do not include Public Health Acute Services (PHAS) payments. Treatment for covered claims in public hospitals is provided by an annual service agreement between ACC and the Ministry of Health, and is funded by bulk payments from ACC to the Crown.
- The calendar year and month in which the service was paid may differ to the calendar year and month in which the service was provided.
- A claim can cover multiple calendar years. A claim which lasts longer than one year is counted as 'active' once for each calendar year covered. For example, a claim which lasted from 2020 to 2022 would be counted a total of three times, once for each calendar year.
- Location is based on where an accident took place and may differ to where a client was residing at the time.
- Data was extracted at a point in time and may differ if re-run later.
We have been made aware that there is an issue with some ACC data for March 2022. We are not aware of the full extent of this issue, and claim counts and costs are subject to change.