Sport and recreation injury statistics
Find statistics on injury claims for injuries that happened while playing sport.
- 2021 injury costs
- 2021 new and active claims
- Sports claims and costs by year - 2015 to 2021
- New sport injury claims by common team sports - 2019, 2020, and 2021
- New sport injury claims by individual sports - 2019 to 2021
- Claims for most common sports for 2020 and 2021, by sex
- Regional breakdown of sports claims
- Common types of injuries for sport
- Caveats to this data
Sports claims and costs by year
|Year||New claims||Active claims||Cost of active claims|
|2021 (to 30 Sep)||341,884||427,199||$524,562,996|
By common team sports
By individual sports
By sex - 2020
By sex - 2021
Regional breakdown of sports claims
Did you know – Canterbury has the second-highest number of claims relating to rugby?
Common types of injuries for sport
Did you know – the most common sports injury is a soft tissue injury? It's an injury to the muscle, ligament, or tendons, usually from a sprain, strain, or contusion.
Find out about the work we're involved in to prevent injuries while playing sport:
'New' claims are counted in the calendar year they were lodged.
'Active' claims have had a payment made on them during that year. Active claims may have been lodged in a different calendar year and can be counted across multiple years.
'Costs' don't include payments made for acute treatment in public hospitals.
A client's age may differ between lodgement date and accident date.
'Region' is based on where the accident happened.
The data was extracted at a point in time and may change if re-run later.