Update your business details

We need to know if there are any changes to your business, as it may affect how much you pay in levies. Find out what changes we need to be aware of and how you can keep us updated.

On this page

    Update your business details

    You can update your details online using MyACC for Business.

    Login or register for MyACC for Business

    Send us a form with your updated business details

    You can also complete the correct form below and email it through to us.

    ACC1761 Changes to your business – shareholder-employees (PDF 687 KB)
    ACC4619 Changes to your business – self-employed (PDF 61 KB) 
    ACC4618 Changes to your business – employer (PDF 64 KB)

    Email business@acc.co.nz

    Changes to your business we need to know about

    Changing your business activity

    If your business activity changes, eg the products or services you offer, you may need to update your Classification Unit (CU). We assign each CU a levy rate, so a new CU could affect how much you pay in levies. Get in touch and we can check if your CU is correct.

    You'll also need to enter your new Business Industry Description (BIC) code when you file your next tax return with Inland Revenue. You can search for this on the BIC website:

    Find your BIC code

    Working part-time or full-time if you’re self-employed

    If you’re self-employed, how many hours you work affects how much you pay in levies and the entitlements you get. This includes the hours you work across all sources of income. Make sure we know if you’re working:

    • part-time (an average of 30 hours or less a week over a tax year)
    • full-time (more than 30 hours a week on average over a tax year).

    Changing your payroll or shareholder remuneration

    You need to update any changes to your payroll or shareholder remuneration through Inland Revenue. They'll pass these details on to us and it will be updated automatically. Make sure you pay your current invoice. We'll get in touch with you about adjustments to your levies once we get the new information.

    Changing from self-employed to an employer

    If you’re hiring staff or changing from self-employed to an employer, get in touch. We’ll let you know if you need to close your self-employment account and help you register with us as an employer.

    Buying or merging a business

    If you’re buying a business, you’ll be taking on their claims history, including their experience rating. Your CU may also change. Make sure you contact us to talk about these changes.

    Receiving superannuation

    If you start receiving New Zealand Superannuation this may affect your weekly compensation. Contact us to talk about these changes. 

    Keeping your contact details up-to-date

    You need to make sure any details we have about your business are up-to-date. This includes your business name, address and phone number so we can contact you.

    Let our business team know if your contact details change. You have to tell the business team even if you've updated it with Inland Revenue or another ACC team.

    Contact us

    You can email or call us to confirm your changes.

    Email business@acc.co.nz

    Call us Monday to Friday, 8:30am – 5pm: 

    Employers and shareholders 0800 222 776
    Self-employed 0508 426 837
    Tax agents 0800 222 991

    Last published: 9 April 2020