If you're a New Zealander injured overseas

If you're a New Zealand resident and you return home with an injury that happened while you were travelling overseas, we can help cover costs. This includes if you've been travelling for business, a holiday, or visiting friends or family.

Who we cover as a New Zealand resident

If you're a New Zealand resident we can cover an injury that happens overseas. But you must be considered as ordinarily resident in New Zealand, when the injury happens, by:

  • having New Zealand as your permanent place of residence, and
  • be in one of the following categories:
    • a New Zealand citizen, or
    • have a New Zealand residence visa, or
    • be a spouse, child or dependent travelling with a New Zealand citizen or resident.

Whether you have New Zealand as your permanent place of residence, at the time of your injury, may depend on several factors including:

  • the length of time you have been absent from New Zealand or intended to be absent from New Zealand, for
  • whether you were overseas because of your job or the job of a spouse, partner or parent and, if so, whether the remuneration from this job has been treated as income derived in New Zealand for New Zealand income tax purposes
  • how long you had been in New Zealand before you last went overseas
  • what other ties to New Zealand you have such as a job, house or family commitments.

How long you're covered while travelling or working overseas

Generally, we'll cover injuries if you intend being out of the country for less than six months. If you're travelling longer on business and are still paying income tax in New Zealand, we may still be able to cover you. If you decide to have a holiday after you’ve finished working, we'll cover you for another six months (as long as you're coming back to New Zealand to live).

If you're diagnosed with asbestos and other dust-related diseases while working in Australia, you may be able to get compensation outside of ACC. Talk to a specialist asbestos lawyer if you think you've been exposed while working in Australia.

Getting help while you're travelling overseas

You’ll still need travel insurance. We don’t cover you for:

  • non-accident medical emergencies or illness
  • overseas treatment costs
  • disrupted travel plans and lost deposits
  • assisted travel or emergency travel for a relative
  • non-working spouses or dependents, if they are out of New Zealand for longer than six months.

If you need immediate help while you’re overseas, contact your travel insurer.

Getting help once you're home

If you want your injury checked, visit your health provider when you’re back in New Zealand. They can make a claim for you.

Contact us from overseas

Phone +64 7 848 7400.

Last published: 13 November 2020