What to do if you're injured

Find out what you need to do if you're injured in an accident and how a claim is made on your behalf.

  1. Get treatment

    This could be at your doctor, physiotherapist, an after hours medical centre or the hospital emergency department.

  2. The treatment provider will make a claim

    One less thing for you to worry about. They’ll fill out the right forms and make a claim to us on your behalf.
  3. Pay for part of the appointment

    If the injury is covered, we pay part of the health provider appointment fees. You’ll need to pay the rest. This is set out by the ACC cost of treatment regulations. Ask the health provider about their fees.

    If you have a Community Services Card or are a dependant (14 to 17 years of age) of a Community Services cardholder, you may get a lower-cost visit to your GP. Most GPs will also offer zero-fees for children under 14 years.

    Treatment we can help pay for
  4. We'll confirm if you’re covered

    If your claim is covered we’ll text you and let you know. We may also send a letter, usually within a week. If you don’t already have one you’ll need to find a health provider to provide your treatment, like a physiotherapist.

    Injuries we cover
  5. How we support you and your whānau

    Along with financial support if you can’t work or have a permanent injury, we can pay for things like transport to get you to appointments or work, childcare and help around the home.

    Find out what support we provide
  6. Get paid if you can’t work

    We’ll pay up to 80% of your income while you recover. This is called weekly compensation and it’s not automatic - you’ll need to get set up for it. You can do this using your MyACC account. If you haven't used MyACC before or received a registration code to join, you'll need to call us to apply for weekly compensation.
Last published: 14 March 2024