If you're no longer in business

You’re in business if you’re an employer, self-employed or a contractor. You need to let us know if you’ve ceased trading, selling or merging your business as this affects your invoice.

Stopping self-employment or closing your business

If you’re no longer self-employed, working as a contractor or you’re closing your business, let us know using our online forms.


Liable earnings

Providing your liable earnings will help us to send out your final invoice sooner. Otherwise, your final invoice will be sent after the end of the tax year.

If you stopped trading before 31 March 2018 and have filed your Inland Revenue tax return, then you won’t need to provide your final liable earnings. If your payroll is different from your Inland Revenue tax return, we’ll use your Inland Revenue tax return for that period to calculate your final invoice.

How to calculate your total liable payroll

What happens next

Once we’ve received your details, we’ll contact you if we need any more information. Otherwise, once we've closed your account, we’ll send out your final reassessed invoice.

Selling or merging your business

If you’re buying a business, you’ll be taking on their claims history, including their experience rating. Your CU may also change. Make sure you contact us to talk about these changes.

If you’re selling your business and closing the Inland Revenue account, you also need to close your account with us. We’ll then send you out a reassessed invoice.

However, if you’re selling and the business is changing hands, the business information will be updated automatically with the next year’s tax return.

Contact us

If you have any questions or want to know more, contact our business team:

Email business@acc.co.nz
Phone 0800 222 776  (Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm)
Phone (from overseas) +64 7 859 8675

Use live chat through MyACC for Business

Talk to us using live chat:

Log into or register for MyACC for Business

Last published: 8 December 2020