Keep getting payments if you move overseas

You can continue to get weekly compensation payments when you move overseas. You’ll need to keep up your rehabilitation while you’re overseas and sort out a few things before you leave.

We can’t pay for any treatment or rehabilitation while you’re living outside of New Zealand. You’ll need to pay for this yourself.

On this page

    Let us know you’re going overseas

    Let your recovery team know you’re going overseas as early as possible. Tell them when, where and how long you’re going for. We’ll set up any assessments you must have before you leave.

    If you can’t talk to your recovery team, call our contact centre:

    Contact us

    How long you’ll receive payments if you’re moving overseas

    We'll still support you if you're living overseas. You’ll keep getting payments as long as your overseas doctor confirms you need it.

    Your injury must still prevent you from doing the type of job you would’ve done before you were injured.

    When we’ll stop making payments

    Your recovery team will always let you know if they’re looking at stopping your payments. We may stop your payments if, for example:

    • you’re going back to work
    • you haven’t been following your rehabilitation plan
    • you haven’t kept your case owner updated on your progress.

    Before you leave New Zealand

    1. Update your rehabilitation plan

      You can carry on with your rehabilitation while you’re living overseas. We’ll work with you to find the best rehabilitation options and to update your rehabilitation plan.
      Your recovery team will talk to you about any assessments you may need before you leave.
    2. Make sure you get a letter for your overseas health provider

      Your recovery team will give you a letter to give to your overseas health provider. This is the medical certificates for overseas clients (OCU01) and explains what information we need from you.
    3. Ask your health provider for your medical records

      Take your medical records with you if you can. This will help your new health provider get familiar with your situation.
    4. Keep your New Zealand bank account open

      We only make payments in New Zealand dollars and into New Zealand bank accounts.

    Before you leave we’ll get your permission to collect and share relevant information about you and your claim. This helps us manage your claim and make sure you’re getting the right amount of compensation.

    Once you’ve moved overseas

    Visit your overseas health provider

    Find a new health provider as soon as possible. Give your provider the medical certificates for overseas clients (OCU01) letter and your medical records.

    Ask them to send us medical certificates

    Ask your health provider to send us a medical certificate at least every 91 days (thirteen weeks). The certificate should show what job tasks you can do and how your recovery is going.

    Keep in touch and follow your rehabilitation plan

    Stay in touch with your recovery team and let them know how you’re getting on with your rehabilitation. They need to know if you:

    • are having difficulty with your rehabilitation plan
    • can’t provide us with any of the details we need
    • will travel between countries. This could affect the tax on your payments
    • do any paid or unpaid work, or earn money in some way.

    Returning to New Zealand for assessments

    You may need to come back to New Zealand for an assessment if:

    • you didn't get assessed before you went overseas
    • your condition changes
    • you’re having difficulties with your rehabilitation
    • you've completed your rehabilitation and we need to find out if you can go back to work.

    Paying for and travelling to your assessments

    We’ll pay for the assessments and your travel within New Zealand to get to the assessments. If you need to come back to New Zealand for an assessment, you’ll have to pay for your own travel.

    Contact us

    If you have any problems or want to know more about how we can help, talk to your recovery team or contact our claims team:

    Phone 0800 101 996 (Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm)

    Send us your application

    If you live in Northland, Auckland, Waikato or Bay of Plenty:

    ACC Hamilton Hub 
    PO Box 952
    Hamilton 3240

    If you live in Taranaki, Manawatu-Whanganui, Hawke's Bay, Wellington or the South Island:

    ACC Dunedin Hub
    PO Box 408
    Dunedin 9054

    Last published: 14 March 2024