Treatment we can help pay for

We can help pay for a range of medical, health and treatment costs if we cover your injury. In some cases we'll only pay for part of these costs, your treatment provider will ask you to pay the rest.

On this page

    Types of treatment we can help pay for

    We can only help pay for your treatment when it’s:

    • the most suitable option for your condition
    • a generally accepted form of treatment in New Zealand
    • given to you by a New Zealand registered and licensed provider.

    Types of treatment and services we can pay for include:

    • acupuncture treatment
    • audiology services
    • chiropractic treatment
    • counselling services
    • dental treatment and services
    • general practitioner services
    • hand therapy treatment
    • hospital treatment, including surgery
    • medical specialist services, eg orthopaedic specialist
    • nurse services
    • occupational therapy treatment
    • optometry services
    • osteopath treatment
    • prescriptions
    • physiotherapy treatment
    • podiatry treatment
    • radiology services, eg MRI and X-rays
    • speech and language therapy services.

    The flowcharts below will help you work out what we'll pay for treatments and services.

    Print the flowchart of treatment we can help pay for - medical practitioner, nurse, GP, and combined nurse and GP

    Print the flowchart of treatment we can help pay for - specified treatment providers

    Print the flowchart of treatment we can help pay for - specialists

    Print the flowchart of treatment we can help pay for - radiologists

    Print the flowchart of treatment we can help pay for - dentists

    Help with further treatment

    Sometimes we can help pay for further treatment. This could be if you’re having side effects caused by your injury or having unexpected issues with your recovery.

    For example, you’re injured in a car accident and get treated for this at the time. Later on, you start having flashbacks or mood swings.

    Talk to us or your health provider about getting more help.

    Help with serious injuries and disabilities

    We can help provide support and services if your injury causes a long-term effect or disability. 

    If you're injured during treatment

    If you're being treated for an injury we cover and you're injured further by that treatment, we can cover you.

    Follow the same process you would for regular injuries. Your health provider will make a treatment injury claim on your behalf.

    What to do if you're injured

    It can take a few days to nine months to investigate a treatment injury claim and make a decision. We'll let you know if we can't make a decision within two months.

    Treatment we don’t pay for

    We can’t pay for treatments or services that are:

    • not related to your injury we cover
    • for a pre-existing or underlying medical condition or injury that's not a result of your injury we cover
    • given outside of New Zealand
    • given to you by a provider who isn’t registered or licensed.

    Paying for your treatment

    If we cover your injury we’ll pay part of your treatment costs. How much depends on the type of treatment you need.

    Ask your health provider how much you’ll have to pay

    When you make an appointment with your health provider, ask them:

    • how much of your treatment we’ll pay for
    • how much you’ll have to pay
    • if you have to make your payment all at once
    • if you need to get approval from us before you get your treatment.

    Your health provider will invoice us for our part of the treatment costs. They’ll then ask you to pay the rest.

    The amount we pay for each type of treatment is set by legislation and changes each year.

    If you visit the emergency department

    If you go to the emergency department to get treatment for your injury, we'll pay them. 

    If you’ve already paid for treatment

    You can pay the full cost of treatment yourself and we can pay you back our part. This includes paying for prescriptions.

    To apply for a refund you’ll need to:

    1. Download an application form

      ACC249 Prescription reimbursement
      ACC001 Request for assistance
    2. Include your invoices and receipts

      Attach the invoices and receipts to your form. Keep copies for your records.
    3. Send us your application

      Send it to us by email or post, or drop it at your local ACC branch.

      Where to send your application

    4. We’ll let you know our decision

      We'll make a decision about your application as soon as we can.

      If we decline your application, we’ll let you know why.

    Contact us

    If you have any problems or want to know more about how we can help, talk to your recovery team or contact our claims team:

    Phone 0800 101 996 (Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm)

    Send us your application

    If you live in Northland, Auckland, Waikato or Bay of Plenty:

    ACC Hamilton Hub 
    PO Box 952
    Hamilton 3240

    If you live in Taranaki, Manawatu-Whanganui, Hawke's Bay, Wellington or the South Island:

    ACC Dunedin Hub
    PO Box 408
    Dunedin 9054

    Last published: 14 March 2024