Cover for self-employed

If you're self-employed or a contractor you have two options for your ACC cover, either our standard CoverPlus or CoverPlus Extra.

On this page

    Standard cover for self-employed

    If you're self-employed or a contractor you'll automatically be placed on CoverPlus. If you've had an accident and can't work, we’ll pay your compensation at up to 80% of your taxable income based on the most recently completed financial year. For example, if you earn $52,000 per year on CoverPlus you'd get up to 80% of that each week, which is $800 before tax.

    Weekly compensation payments start a week after your injury, and we’ll also help cover the cost of your treatment and rehabilitation.

    How we calculate your self-employed levies

    Inland Revenue provides us with a summary of your earnings from your income tax return (IR3). We use this information combined with your Classification Unit (CU) (what work you do and the industry you’re in) to calculate your levy.

    Working out how much you need to pay

    Classification Unit (CU)

    A description of your business activity. This is based on your Business Industry Classification (BIC) code.

    Find your BIC code

    How we invoice you

    CoverPlus invoices are issued around September each year. There are three levies which will be charged on your invoice which are as follows:

    Learn more about ways to pay your invoice:  

    Ways to pay levies 

    Manage your own levies with CoverPlus Extra

    CoverPlus Extra (CPX) is an optional cover product that allows you to choose how much of your income you want to be covered if you have an accident and can’t work. We'll pay compensation based on your cover amount and option. 

    Learn about CPX

    Compare our CoverPlus and CoverPlus Extra policies

    Last published: 14 March 2024