Giving someone authority to act on your behalf

You can choose someone to talk to us about your claim on your behalf. You can give them authority in a number of ways, and give different levels of access.

On this page

    Who you can give authority to

    You can authorise any person you trust to act on your behalf. It includes:

    • a friend
    • a family member
    • a neighbour
    • your kaumātua
    • someone with legal or advocacy experience
    • your minister or church elder.

    Give temporary authority

    Contact us to give someone temporary authority to talk to us on your behalf.

    Contact us

    Give long-term authority

    If you want to give someone long-term authority to act on your behalf, we’ll ask for something in writing. This can be:

    • a completed ACC5937 Authority to act form
    • a signed letter from you
    • an email sent by you from a verified email address
    • a legally-binding advice such as a Work and Income New Zealand welfare guardianship order, power of attorney document or personal property order.

    Both the form and letter must have:

    • the full name of the person you want to act on your behalf
    • their full address
    • their contact number
    • if this authority is for a single claim or all your existing claims.

    You can only give authority to someone for your existing claims. You'll need to give authority again for any new claims.  

    Call us and we can send you out an application form.  Or you can download the form then post it, scan and email it to us, or drop it at your local ACC branch.

     ACC5937 Authority to act

    Send us your application

    Confirming your chosen person’s identity

    We need these details to make sure that anyone acting for you has the right to do so. We’ll ask your chosen person these details every time they contact us to confirm their identity.

    How long your chosen person will have authority

    If you give someone authority to talk to us about a single claim, they can do so for the life of that claim. Someone who has authority for all your existing claims will keep it until you cancel or change it.

    Authority by power of attorney

    If you give someone the authority to look after your welfare or affairs under a general power of attorney or an enduring power of attorney, email us a copy of the legal document.

    Once we receive this, we’ll confirm with you as soon as possible.

    Cancel or change someone’s authority

    To cancel or change the type or level of authority you’ve given, contact us. Have your claim number ready.

    If you’re giving authority to a different person, we'll need a new authority to act form.

    Contact us

    If you have any problems or want to know more, contact our claims team:

    Phone 0800 101 996 (Monday to Friday, 7am - 7pm)

    Send us your application

    If you live in Northland, Auckland, Waikato or Bay of Plenty:

    ACC Hamilton Service Centre 
    PO Box 952
    Hamilton 3240
    Fax 07 848 7091

    If you live in Taranaki, Manawatu-Whanganui, Wellington or the South Island:

    ACC Dunedin Service Centre
    PO Box 408
    Dunedin 9054
    Free fax 0800 844 850

    Last published: 8 April 2021