If you're injured overseas

If you're a New Zealand resident and you return home with an injury that happened while you were travelling overseas, we can help cover costs. This includes if you've been travelling for business, a holiday, or visiting friends or family.

Who we cover as a New Zealand resident

If you're a New Zealand resident we can cover your overseas injury. This means you must:

  • be one of the following:
    • a New Zealand citizen
    • have a New Zealand residence visa
    • a spouse, child or dependent travelling with a New Zealand citizen or resident.
  • be able to show New Zealand is your permanent place of residence or you're overseas on business and still paying income tax in New Zealand
  • have lived in New Zealand for at least 183 days in the 12 months before you travelled
  • have other ties to New Zealand such as a job, house or bank account

How long you're covered while travelling or working overseas

This is only for trips where you intend on being out of the country for less than six months. If you're travelling on business and still paying income tax in New Zealand, we may still be able to cover you. If you decide to have a holiday after you’ve finished working, we'll cover you for another six months (as long as you're coming back to New Zealand to live).

If you're diagnosed with asbestos and other dust-related diseases while working in Australia, you may be able to get compensation outside of ACC. Talk to a specialist asbestos lawyer if you think you've been exposed while working in Australia.

Getting help while you're travelling overseas

You’ll still need travel insurance. We don’t cover you for:

  • illness
  • overseas treatment costs
  • disrupted travel plans and lost deposits 
  • assisted travel or emergency travel for a relative.

If you need immediate help while you’re overseas, contact your travel insurer.

Getting help once you're home

If you want your injury checked, visit your health provider when you’re back in New Zealand. They can make a claim for you.

Last published: 12 December 2018