Help at home after an injury

If we cover your injury, you may be able to get support to help around your home. This is so you can make a quick and safe recovery, and get back to your everyday activities.

On this page

    Types of help you can get at home

    The types of support you can apply for:

    • home help – to help with cleaning and looking after your home
    • attendant care – to help you with personal activities such as showering and dressing.

    If you’re not living at home

    We may be able to help if you’re staying with family or a friend until you can return home.

    Let your case owner know if you move while you're getting support from us.

    What we'll pay for

    If we accept your application, we’ll pay for the support you need.

    You may have paid some of these costs while waiting to hear if we'll cover your injury. Talk to your case owner about a possible refund.

    How to apply for help at home

    You can apply for support at home any time after we’ve accepted cover for your injury. To apply you can:

    • ask your doctor to send us a letter of recommendation. We’ll contact you once we get this
    • contact our claims team. Have your claim number ready
    • fill out the ACC001 form and send it to us by email or post, or drop it at your local ACC branch
    • contact your case owner if you have one.

    ACC001 Request for assistance

    Send us your application

    Applying on someone else’s behalf

    If you want to apply for help at home on behalf of someone, you’ll need to get their permission:

    Giving someone authority to act on your behalf

    Assessing what help you need at home

    If you have a short recovery time, your case owner can approve your application straight away. If your recovery looks like it will take longer, we’ll organise someone to come and assess what help you need.

    Arranging your assessment

    Once you apply, we’ll send a referral to an independent assessor. They’ll contact you within two working days to set up an appointment.

    Assessments take place in your home. If you have to stay somewhere else because of your injury, we’ll assess you there.

    Getting your assessment

    The assessor will come and do an assessment within ten working days. They’ll talk to you about the support you need and come back to us with their recommendations.

    We’ll let you know our decision

    We’ll be in touch within seven working days after the assessment. We’ll talk to you about:

    • what help they recommended
    • our final decision on the support we can provide
    • how long you can get this support for
    • the next steps.

    Choosing who helps you at home

    You can choose who provides your home help and attendant care:

    An agency contracted to us

    We have contracts with different agencies that provide home help and attendant care. They’ll invoice us and we’ll pay for the full cost of their services.

    An agency that isn’t contracted to us

    You can choose to use an agency that doesn’t have a contract with us. We’ll pay a set hourly rate. If the agency charges more than this, you’ll need to pay the rest.

    The agency will invoice us for the rate we cover, and invoice you for any extra charge.

    A friend or family member

    If you have a friend or a family member that can help you at home, you may be able to set them up as your private caregiver. You need to:

    • fill in the right paperwork – your case owner can send this to you
    • fill in a form each week so your caregiver can get paid
    • talk to Inland Revenue about tax obligations.

    We have a set hourly rate for private care. This rate earns withholding tax. We can either pay you so that you can pay your caregiver, or pay them directly.

    How long it will take to get help at home

    Home help and attendant care

    If you use an agency, we’ll send them a referral with the help that we’ve approved. They should contact with you within two days.

    Your private caregiver can start from the date we’ve agreed to pay for their services.

    Extending your help at home

    To apply to extend your support, contact your case owner before this ends. You may need another assessment.

    Contact us

    If you have any problems or want to know more about how we can help, talk to your case owner, or contact our claims team. If you’re using an agency, ask them to contact your case owner.

    Phone 0800 101 996 (Monday to Friday, 7am - 7pm)

    Send us your application

    If you live in Northland, Auckland, Waikato or Bay of Plenty:

    ACC Hamilton Service Centre
    PO Box 952
    Hamilton 3240
    Fax 07 848 7091

    If you live in Taranaki, Manawatu-Whanganui, Hawke's Bay, Wellington or the South Island:

    ACC Dunedin Service Centre
    PO Box 408
    Dunedin 9054
    Free fax 0800 844 850

    Last published: 20/07/17