Our Impact Investment Portfolio
What we're aiming to do
We help prevent injuries, care for people who have an injury, and then help them return to work or independence. We also have $47 billion worth of investments that provide strong financial returns. This helps New Zealanders to pay less in levies for accident cover.
We're combining our established expertise in injury prevention, with the proven management of our investment fund.
Aligning these two areas will contribute to improved balance of:
- risks to ACC.
There are investment opportunities within New Zealand that can deliver both objectives. This is why we've created a specific impact portfolio. The Health and Safety at Work Act (HSWA) 2015 has also created new levels of demand for H&S solutions that weren’t there before.
The ACC Impact Portfolio
Our Private Markets team manages the $50 million portfolio. We aim to invest in companies that are making a positive difference to the health, safety, and wellbeing of New Zealanders.
The portfolio has two objectives:
- Generate positive, measurable impact to the health, safety, and wellbeing of New Zealanders
- Achieve superior risk-adjusted returns to sustain ACC for generations to come.
What we're looking for
We’re seeking established companies that are looking for funding to grow within New Zealand. Our investment size for each company can be anywhere from $2.5 million to $15 million.
You can express your interest in possible investment by filling in our online form below:
Register your interest
We'll consider Australian companies if there's a direct benefit to the Outstanding Claims Liability (OCL) and the possibility of use in New Zealand.
We're looking for investments that will:
- improve health and wellbeing
- advance health and safety standards in New Zealand
- improve the rehabilitation experience of those on ACC
- assist in the reduction of our Outstanding Claims Liability (OCL).
For an appropriate risk-adjusted return, we’re looking for companies that have:
- a referenceable customer base
- a demonstrated product market fit
- a scalable business model
- established management team and governance
- capital for growth and expansion of the business.
We’ll measure our investment by looking at the:
- risk-adjusted returns
- impact on our Outstanding Claims Liability
- impact on the rehabilitation of ACC clients.
How the process for the Impact Portfolio will work
Our investment processes are clear and robust.
Initial contactYou can register your interest by emailing our Private Markets team or filling out our online form below. The ACC Impact Portfolio Committee will conduct an initial assessment. This will determine whether your business meets the objectives of the Impact Portfolio.
Register your interest
ScreeningThe screening process will assess your business against our investment frameworks. The Impact Portfolio Committee will then review the assessment for due diligence.
Private Markets CommitteeThe Private Markets Committee includes members of the wider ACC investment network. The committee will review your business as a potential investment opportunity.
Deal Execution and approvalIf approved by the committees, we’ll send you a conditional allocation letter. There’ll be financial and Impact terms and conditions, and an agreement on Impact metrics.
After our investmentWe’ll confirm final documentation and allocation. There’ll be a joint announcement of the investment.
Why partner with us
- A long-term investment horizon.
- Knowledge and networks in the health system.
- A significant and stable financial position and the ability to fund follow-on investments.
- Flexibility in how we structure and approach transactions.
- Size and reputation in the local investment market.
- Proven co-investment partnership.
The Impact Portfolio is part of our ongoing work on ethical investments.
You can find more information about impact investing on the IFC website:
Read our media release launching the Impact Investment Fund:
Email the Private Markets team:
Complete this form to:
- find out more about the new ACC Impact Investment Portfolio
- tell us about your company
- ask us any questions you have.