Our contact centres will be closed on 25 and 26 December 2018, and 1 and 2 January 2019.
See what our hours are over the holiday period on our contact us page.

I'm injured

What to do if you’re injured, types of injuries we cover, different ways we can support you, and getting help with a claim.

We’ll pay up to 80% of your income as weekly compensation if you’re unable to work because of an injury that we cover.
You can still get weekly compensation payments when you move overseas. You’ll need to keep up your rehabilitation and sort out a few things before you leave.
If we cover your life-long injury, we may be able to give you financial support as a one-off or an ongoing payment.
When someone close to you dies from an injury we cover, we may be able to give you financial support.